Today, I was very blessed. Teachers CRAVE a day out of the confining four walls that surround us all day long, 9 months a year. Not being able to dash out for a change of scenery, lunch in the park or out with friends, or just run a midday errand can wear on you after a time (I can already hear it: but you have all summer!), and so when those rare occasions present themselves allowing you to take a field trip, you embrace them full-heartedly. Of course, all teachers do not feel this way, but I dread the day I don't look forward to a field trip!
Knowing this day was coming was enough to get me through a very rough Tuesday this week. Meetings that last forever with no end - really, no possible end, because we are human beings and cannot solve the titanic problems we and the students are facing, and then an afterschool tutoring session where 2 parents didn't even bother to leave the house to pick up their child until I called them (since they were already 10 minutes late), and McDonald's night. However, just knowing that the students and I would take a break from the norm and attend a field trip on a science topic, was enough to help me hold out. Present contentment was based on a future prospect.
Speaking of breaking out of the norm, although I am always happiest with my hair long, it is need of some color and trim attention. So is my dear girl's as well. We have ourselves a late morning appointment at a very swanky hair salon. 30 minute head, neck, and scalp massages are standard at this location, and better yet, my cut and color are free for my first visit! After our pampering, we will dine at HuHot, which is my girl's favorite lunch spot as of late, and then shop for some new clothes for our family pictures next weekend. This is looking like my kind of Saturday! I had just recently told my girl that we needed some girl time, at least once a month, just us two. Of course we have our usual things together, but a planned 'outing' gives us present contentment, based on a future prospect.

(photot courtesy of http://alexanderclan.blogspot.com/2008/10/valeria-boss-salon-experience.html)
Lastly, today as I drove to work, I believe it was David Jeremiah who was preaching on what happens to "little children" and then "infants" when they die. Morbid topic, I know, but so comforting what he said. In the loss of the 3 babies that we didn't carry to term, many people would offer condolences, reminding me over and over that I would hold, rock, and know those babies once I was in heaven. They would be there, waiting on me. Those words sounded nice, and of course I believed them, but today when He offered scripture (including Matthew 18:14), my heart let me not just believe on a surface level, but take it in, and look forward to it. Along with the eternal gift of life in heaven, He's also going to provide the pleasure of that reunion. More present contentment, based on a future prospect!

No comments:
Post a Comment